Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
San Angelo(săn ăn`jəlō), city (1990 pop. 84,474), seat of Tom Green co., W Tex., where two forks join to form the Concho River; laid out 1869, inc. 1903. It is an important wool and mohair market and a trade and shipping point for a wide area of sheep, goat, and cattle ranches; irrigated farms; and oil and natural gas fields. Meat and dairy products; shoes; leather goods; surgical sutures; and stone, fiberglass, and metal items are also produced. Founded beside a border military post, Fort Concho (1866; restored as a museum), San Angelo was a rough frontier town of cattle trails and overland traffic in the 1870s; it grew after the coming of the railroad in 1888. Angelo State Univ. is there. Goodfellow Air Force Base adjoins the city, and Lake Nasworthy and O. C. Fisher Lake reservoirs are nearby.
a city in the southern USA, in the state of Texas. Population, 64,000 (1974). San Angelo is the center of a large agricultural area, noted for the cultivation of cotton and grains and the raising of sheep and goats. It has a wool market. It also has slaughterhouses, flour mills, and cotton-ginning plants. Oil is refined in San Angelo.