Santa Fe Railroad
Santa Fe Railroad,former U.S. railroad, chartered in 1863 as the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe RR; opened to traffic in 1864. Construction continued, and in 1880 it reached Santa Fe, N.Mex.; the following year the railroad connected with the Southern PacificSouthern Pacific Company,
transportation system chartered (1865) in California and later reincorporated in Kentucky (1885) and Delaware (1947). Small railroads—known collectively as the Southern Pacific—were built and merged after 1865 in S California to provide
..... Click the link for more information. RR. The railroad acquired several small lines, and further construction followed; by the early 1890s the Santa Fe, with its 9,000 mi (14,480 km) of track and connections to Chicago and Los Angeles, became one of the world's longest railroad systems. Poor management and a reckless dividend policy combined with the depression of 1893, however, to bankrupt the railroad company, which in 1895 was reorganized as the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company. In the 20th cent. the railroad increased its holdings; by 1929 it had 13,000 mi. (20,917 km) of track in the Southwest. In the 1960s a holding company, Santa Fe Industries, was created for the railroad and various subsidiaries. After the Interstate Commerce Commission blocked a merger with the Southern Pacific Company (1988), Santa Fe Industries reorganized, and the railroad emerged as a part of the newly named Santa Fe Pacific Corporation. In 1995 the Santa Fe Pacific Corporation merged with the Burlington Northern RR to become the Burlington Northern Sante Fe RailwayBurlington Northern Santa Fe Railway,
railroad system in much of the United States (except the Northeast) and in S Canada, created in 1995 from the merger of Burlington Northern Inc. and the Santa Fe Pacific Corp. (see Santa Fe RR).
..... Click the link for more information. .
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/