Also found in: Wikipedia.
a Russian word with the following meanings, some of which can be rendered in English by the word “sector.”
(1) A clearly delimited constituent part.
(2) A section marked off by radial lines, such as a section of a stadium, a zone of observation, or a firing sector.
(3) A part of the economy with certain economic and social characteristics—for example, the socialized sector, as opposed to the private sector.
(4) In an institution or organization, a section or department that specializes in a particular area of work.
(5) In physical geography, a large area of a continent that is characterized by some distinctive aspect of geographic zonation. In this sense, sektor can be rendered in English as “region.”