Also found in: Wikipedia.
Serov(syĕ`rəf), city (1989 pop. 104,000), E European Russia, in the eastern foothills of the Urals, on the Kakvy River. A metallurgical center, Serov produces cast iron and quality steel and has lignite, iron, bauxite, and gold mines. Founded in 1894 in connection with the building of the Trans-Siberian RR, the city was called Nadezhdinsk until 1939.
(until 1939, Nadezhdinsk), a city under oblast jurisdiction and administrative center of Serov Raion, Sverdlovsk Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the eastern slope of the Urals, on the left bank of the Kakva River 7 km from the influx of the Kakva into the Sos’va River of the Ob’ River basin. Junction for rail lines to Sverdlovsk, Alapaevsk, Sergino, Karpinsk, and Sever-oural’sk. Population, 100,000 (1975; 33,300, 1926; 64,700, 1939; 98,000, 1959).
Serov was founded in 1894 during the construction of a metallurgical plant to produce rails for the Trans-Siberian Railroad. During the years of Soviet power the plant was reconstructed and expanded to produce alloy steel. Serov has a plant producing ferrous alloys, a woodworking combine, the Serov State Regional Power Plant, a plant producing reinforced-concrete products, a machine-repair plant, and food industry enterprises. The Igrim-Nizhnii Tagil gas pipeline runs through the city. A branch of the Ural Polytechnic Institute, a metallurgical technicum, medical and pedagogical schools, and branches of logging and construction technicums are located in Serov. The city also has a drama theater and a museum of local lore. The city was renamed in honor of A. K. Serov.