Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Sevsk Raion, Briansk Oblast, RSFSR. Sevsk is located on the Sev River of the Dnieper River basin, on the Moscow-Kiev highway, 80 km south of the Navlia railroad station and 142 km from Briansk, with which it is linked by bus. It has a creamery, a plant for the production of dried vegetables, and a hemp-processing plant.
Sevsk has been known since 1146, when it was part of the Chernigov Principality. It became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in 1356. In 1585 it was incorporated into the Moscow State. For a time it was a frontier fortress. In 1634, Sevsk withstood a three-week siege by Polish troops. In 1708 it became part of Kiev Province, and in 1727 of Belgorod Province; in 1779 it became a district capital. In 1796 it was made part of Or-lov Province. Soviet power was established in Sevsk in March 1918. From Oct. 1, 1941, to Aug. 27, 1943, the city was occupied by fascist German troops. Soviet partisans were active in the area. Sevsk has been part of Briansk Oblast since 1944.
Sevsk has architectural monuments dating from the 17th to the 19th century, including remains of fortress ramparts (13th to the 17th century) and the St. Peter and St. Paul Church (1701?).
REFERENCESTelichko, V. A. Sevsk: Istoricheskii ocherk. Moscow, 1964.
Tsapenko, M. Zemlia Brianskaia. Moscow, 1972. [23—168–2]