Shavishvili, Mikhail Kalistovich
Born Sept. 2 (14), 1894, in Ozurgeti (now the city of Makharadze); died Mar. 8, 1966, in Tbilisi. Soviet architect. Honored Art Worker of the Georgian SSR (1947).
Shavishvili graduated from the Institute of Civil Engineering in Tbilisi in 1931. He joined the teaching staff in the same year and taught at the Georgian Polytechnical Institute from 1951 to 1954. His most important structures were the physics and chemistry building of the University of Tbilisi (1940), building complexes for the Tbilisi Medical Institute (1940), the Georgian Polytechnical Institute in Tbilisi (1954), the Kutaisi Meskhishvili Theater (1955, with Sh. Tavadze), the residential settlement at the automotive plant (1958, with G. Chigogidze) in Kutaisi, and the Palace of Culture of Metallurgical Workers in Zestafoni (1962).