Sheep and Goat Raising, Institute of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Sheep and Goat Raising, Institute of

 

(full name, All-Union Scientific Research Institute of Sheep and Goat Raising of the Ministry of Agriculture of the USSR), an institute organized in Stavropol’ in 1932 to treat problems of modern commercial sheep raising; to improve methods of selecting sheep and goats; to improve methods of feeding, pasturing, and fattening sheep; to improve wool quality; and to deal with aspects of reproduction.

In 1973 the Institute of Sheep and Goat Raising had a technical division with departments for feeding techniques, mechanization, fodder production, economics, and management. There were also general research departments for management, breeding and genetics, wool, and the biology of reproduction and artificial insemination. Laboratories at the institute included those devoted to the development of new technological procedures, general chemistry and biochemistry, and computer technology.

The institute maintains the Chernozemelskaia Experiment Station in the village of Komsomol’skii in the Kalmyk ASSR and the Temnolesskii Experimental Farm in the village of Tsimlian-skii in Stavropol’ Krai. There is also a higher school for livestock judges. The institute is a coordination center for the raising of fine-wooled sheep. There is a graduate program; correspondence graduate courses are available.

The Institute of Sheep and Goat Raising has published Trudy (Transactions) since 1934. It was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1971.

V. S. ZARVTOVSKII

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.