Shelaputin Pedagogical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Shelaputin Pedagogical Institute

 

an institution of higher learning in prerevolutionary Russia, opened in Moscow in 1911 on funds provided by the active civil councillor (fourth class) P. G. Shelaputin.

The Shelaputin Pedagogical Institute accepted male graduates of institutions of higher learning who wished to become secondary-school teachers. Pedagogical disciplines were studied, as were specialized disciplines related to subjects in the secondary-school curriculum. The institute had well-equipped study rooms and a pedagogical museum. Its graduates gathered every year for pedagogical congresses. Before 1917 the institute had four graduating classes totaling about 100 men, and it published the Izvestiia pedagogicheskogo instituta (seven issues, 1912–16). The Academy of Social Upbringing was established on the basis of the institute in 1919 (since 1923 the academy has been known as the N. K. Krupskaia Academy of Communist Upbringing).

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.