shell account


Also found in: Wikipedia.

shell account

[′shel ə‚kau̇nt]
(computer science)
A type of limited access to the Internet in which the user is connected to the Internet indirectly through a second computer on which the user has established an account.
References in periodicals archive ?
Around 65 per cent of our VLCC fleet is dedicated to delivering on the Shell account with the remaining 35 per cent is employed by other major crude players,' he added.
The number issued, which is practically the booking number, in a credit shell account that may be used by passengers to transfer flights.
C shell: An interface for users whose ISP only offers character-based, command-line access to a UNIX system (hence the term "shell account")
He believes his strengths lay in areas like delivery schedules and costs and soon moved into project management returning to Aberdeen to manage the Shell account.
"The Johnson Controls team on the Shell account are all looking forward to delivering our services to Shell retail and commercial sites in Oman, as we have done across the world.
Those who have never used a shell account are probably unfamiliar with the term.
* Before e-mailing real releases to editors, have (or get) a dial-up SLIP/PPP account and a shell account, send copies of releases to these, and look carefully at what you get.
The most basic type of Internet connection is through a shell account. Shell accounts are the least user-friendly.
As you will have learned while looking into Net providers and their cost, you can have either a shell account (usually less expensive) or a SLIP/PPP account.
In order of decreasing complexity, these are the direct method, the online account method, and the shell account method.
Petron and Shell account for more than half of the country's retail fuel market.
There are even browsers that let you work through an ASCII-only shell account and view in multimedia (SLIPknot and I-Comm, in particular).