Shteller, Pavel Pavlovich
Born Jan. 1 (14), 1910, in St. Petersburg; died Feb. 4, 1977, in Moscow. Soviet architect. Honored Architect of the RSFSR (1971).
In 1936, Shteller graduated from the architecture department of the Academy of Arts in Leningrad, where he studied under N. A. Trotskii. From 1937 to 1945 he worked under the direction of L. V. Rudnev. Shteller collaborated on several noteworthy buildings in Moscow, including the Hotel Sovetskaia (1950; State Prize of the USSR, 1951), the pavilion of the Central Chernozem Regions at the Exhibition of the Achievements of the National Economy of the USSR (1954), the Kremlin Palace of Congresses (1959–61; Lenin Prize, 1962), the Hotel Rossiia (1970), the concert hall in Zariad’e (1974), and the House of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR (from 1968, with D. N. Chechulin and others). He headed an architectural team working on designs for Novokirovskii Prospect (1968–77), also in Moscow.
Shteller was awarded the Order of the Badge of Honor and several medals.