Shurabashat

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Shurabashat

 

the site of a fortified settlement that existed from the fourth century B.C. to the first centuries of the Common Era. Shurabashat, located 8 km northwest of Uzgen, Osh Oblast, Kirghiz SSR, is the center of an oasis in the valley of the Iassy River. It was excavated between 1954 and 1957. The area exceeds 70 hectares. The site is enclosed by an earthen wall and is divided into three parts by inner earthen walls. It has a citadel in the northeast. Remains of pisé structures with hearths and household pits have been discovered, as well as burials in the walls. The principal finds have been modeled ware, tinted or painted red against a light background. Hearthstones, poles for drying hay, bone plates for bows, and beads have also been found.

REFERENCE

Zadneprovskii, Iu. A. Drevnezemledel’cheskaia kul’tura Fergany. Moscow-Leningrad, 1962.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.