Shutov, Stepan Fedorovich
Born Jan. 17 (30), 1902, on the estate of Dvorets, now the village of Dvorets, in Bobruisk Raion, Mogilev Oblast; died Apr. 17,1963, in Kiev. Twice Hero of the Soviet Union (Jan. 10,1944, and Sept. 13,1944). Colonel (1944). Member of the CPSU from 1924.
The son of a farmhand, Shutov joined the Red Army in 1918. He graduated from the All-Russian Central Executive Committee Combined Military School in 1927, advanced armored courses for command personnel of the Workers’ and Peasants’ Red Army in 1932 and in 1933, and advanced academic courses for command personnel in 1937 and 1943. Between 1941 and 1944, during the Great Patriotic War, he commanded a tank battalion, a regiment, and a tank brigade. In September 1944 he was appointed deputy commander of a mechanized corps that fought on the Western, Volkhov, Voronezh, First Ukrainian, and Second Ukrainian fronts. Shutov was seriously wounded in 1944, and his left arm was amputated. He retired in 1945.
Shutov was a deputy to the second convocation of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. He was awarded two Orders of Lenin, two Orders of the Red Banner, and various medals. A bronze bust of Shutov has been placed in the settlement of Glusha in Bobruisk Raion, Mogilev Oblast.