His father, Sir Charles Barry
, designed the British Houses of Parliament, and his brothers Edward and Charles had created several London landmark buildings, including the Royal Opera House.
Designed by Sir Charles Barry
and his son Charles Edward Barry of the great 19th Century British architectural dynasty.
It is a Grade II* mansion which was built in 1714 by Edward Conway and later remodelled by the famous Sir Charles Barry
A Sir Joseph Paxton B Sir Christopher Wren C Sir Charles Barry
D Sir Basil Spence 10.
The duo emerged victorious from a competition that had attracted 67 entries - including one from Sir Charles Barry
, who rebuilt the London Houses of Parliament in the mid-19th century.
Gibson House, formerly The Cleveland Club, is named after its architect John Gibson who worked with Sir Charles Barry
, designing the Houses of Parliament.
This building, which stood on New Street where King Edward House now stands from 1836 to 1936, was designed by Sir Charles Barry
, whose next major commission was the Houses of Parliament.
It has now been renamed Gibson House after the architect who designed it and who worked alongside Sir Charles Barry
on the Houses of Parliament.
Fire destroyed most of the Palace of Westminster in 1834 and architect Sir Charles Barry
was commissioned to create a new one.
Under his direction, Sir Charles Barry
transformed the Deepdene into a grandiose renaissance palazzo, to which many of the contents of Duchess Street were removed after its sale in 1851 (the house itself was demolished, seemingly without record, in 1936).
RED ALERT: The warm reds and yellows show energy leaking out of our historic Houses of Parliament, built by Sir Charles Barry
in 1868; COOL BLUE: The }1960s-built Berlaymont, which houses the EU in Brussels, above, is far more efficient than the Reichstag in Berlin, below
Sir Charles Barry
added a wing in the late 1820s, and in the last years of the nineteenth century royalty were entertained here, but in 1921 the then owner auctioned off much of the furnishings, including the 1640s panelling and furnishings of the dining room that included a 12ft high Baroque doorway and a remarkable frieze of polychromed, gilded and embossed leatherwork.