Also found in: Wikipedia.
Skierniewice(skyĕrnyĕvē`tsĕ), town (1993 est. pop. 44,000), Łódzkie prov., E central Poland. It is a railway junction and manufacturing center where electrical goods, glass, and ceramics are produced. Chartered in 1463, it was a residence of the bishops of Gniezno (17th–18th cent.). Skierniewice has a 17th-century episcopal palace.
a city in Poland and administrative center (since 1975) of Skierniewice Województwo. Population, 26,500 (1974). A railroad junction, Skierniewice produces steel building components and radio equipment. It has enterprises of the chemical machine-building and food-processing industries, including a brewery, and enterprises for the production of plywood, glass, and ceramic ware.