Also found in: Wikipedia.
a petroleum-refining and petrochemical combine in the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic engaged in the production of gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, lubricating oils, asphalt, sulfuric acid, polyethylene, polypropylene, phenol, and acetone. Located in Bratislava, the combine grew out of a joint-stock company named Apollo, which was established in 1895. Originally the refinery processed 30,000 tons of petroleum per year. The enterprise was destroyed during World War II. Restoration work was started after the liberation of Czechoslovakia, and in 1946 the nationalized enterprise became part of the production association Slovak Mineral Oil Refineries. In 1949 the enterprise’s name was changed to Slovnaft.
In the years 1949–57, construction work resulted in a practically new, major combine. The three main complexes produce fuel, oil, and petrochemical products. As much as 7 million tons of petroleum are refined each year; the petroleum is transported from the USSR through the Druzhba Pipeline, first used in 1962. Slovnaft provides 70 percent of the country’s requirements for liquid fuel, motor oil, and lubricating oil. Approximately 20 percent of production output is exported.
Slovnaft has been awarded the Order of Labor (1958) and the Order of the Victorious February of 1948 (1973).