Solotcha

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Solotcha

 

an urban-type settlement in Riazan’ Oblast, RSFSR, under the jurisdiction of the Sovetskii raion soviet of Riazan’. Solotcha is located in a pine forest on the Solotcha River and an old bed of the Oka River; the settlement is 20 km from Riazan’. Industry includes a timber combine. The Meshchera Zonal Experimental Reclamation Station is in Solotcha. There are houses of rest, a children’s tuberculosis sanatorium, and a tourist station. Architectural monuments include the Solotcha Monastery (16th through 18th centuries), whose structures in the Nar-yshkin style include the refectory, a vast pillarless room with two tiers of windows roofed by a barrel vault having a span of 18 m. The Church of the Holy Spirit (1688–89) is part of the monastery.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.