South Africa, University of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

South Africa, University of

 

a higher educational institution of the Republic of South Africa, located in Pretoria. The university was founded in 1873 as the University of the Cape of Good Hope and was granted a royal charter in 1877; in 1916 it received its present name. The racist regime of South Africa seeks to use the university to train confirmed opponents of the national liberation movement of the African peoples. In the 1977–78 academic year, the university had six faculties: divinity, law, arts, science, commerce and administration, and education. It had about 47,000 students and 1,700 teachers. The Sanlam Library, founded in 1947, contains 660,000 volumes.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa, University of KwaZulu-Natal Press, 2009.
From the (1) UCT/MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, Sports Science Institute of South Africa, University of Cape Town, South Africa; [dagger]Department of Medicine, Children's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts; [double dagger]Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, TX; [section]University of Calgary, Sport Medicine Center, Calgary, Alberta, Canada; _SportsMed, Christchurch, New Zealand; [paragraph]Department of Medicine, McLean Hospital, Belmont, Massachusetts; #Department of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Auckland, New Zealand; and (2) Gettysburg College, PA.
Full browser ?