Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
South Georgia,island, c.1,450 sq mi (3,760 sq km), S Atlantic Ocean, c.1,200 mi (1,930 km) E of Cape Horn. A dependency of the Falkland IslandsFalkland Islands
, Span. Islas Malvinas, group of islands (2015 est. pop. 3,000), 4,618 sq mi (11,961 sq km), S Atlantic, c.300 mi (480 km) E of the Strait of Magellan. The islands are a British overseas territory; the capital is Stanley.
..... Click the link for more information. from 1908 to 1985 (along with the South Sandwich Islands, a group of nine small, volcanic islets c.450 mi/724 km SE of South Georgia), it and the South Sandwich Islands are a dependency of Great Britain and, like the Falklands, are claimed by Argentina. The number of people on the island fluctuates seasonally; there is no permanent population, but a scientific station is located at Grytviken. Capt. James CookCook, James,
1728–79, English explorer and navigator. The son of a Yorkshire agricultural laborer, he had little formal education. After an apprenticeship to a firm of shipowners at Whitby, he joined (1755) the royal navy and surveyed the St.
..... Click the link for more information. took possession of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands in 1775. Ernest ShackletonShackleton, Sir Ernest Henry,
1874–1922, British antarctic explorer, b. Ireland. The first of his voyages to Antarctica was made as a member of the expedition (1901–4) of Robert F. Scott.
..... Click the link for more information. visited the South Georgia on his expeditions and is buried there, and sealers or whalers were based on the island from the late 1700s to the mid-1900s. Since the 1990s the island's penguins, seals, and other wildlife have made it a minor tourist attraction.
an island in the southwestern Atlantic Ocean. South Georgia has an area of 4,144 sq km and reaches an elevation of 2,934 m at its highest point, Mount Paget. Much of the island is covered with ice and snow. There are many seabirds, and penguin colonies are found on the island; the fauna also includes sea lions and elephant seals. An Argentine meteorological station was located on South Georgia from 1905 to 1950. In 1950 a British survey station was opened at Grytviken on King Edward Point. Discovered in 1775 during an expedition led by the British explorer J. Cook, the island was named in honor of King George of England.