an intracontinental scientific station of the USSR in Eastern Antarctica on a route to the pole of inaccessibility. The station was in operation from Feb. 16, 1958, to Jan. 3, 1959, and served as an intermediate base for tractor-drawn sledges and aircraft. It was located at 78°24’ S lat. and 87°32’ E long, in the northeastern part of the Sovetskoe Plateau at an elevation of 3,662 m. In the vicinity of the station, the thickness of the ice cap was 1,830 m, and the elevation of the underlying land was 1,740 m.
Meteorological, aerological, actinometric, and glaciological observations were carried out at the Sovetskaia Station. In addition, observations of auroras and medical investigations were performed. An air temperature of –86.8°C was recorded at the station in August 1958.