Diplomatic relations were established between the USSR and the Democratic Republic of the Sudan on Jan. 7, 1956.
The two countries concluded a trade agreement (Mar. 16, 1959), another long-term trade agreement (Nov. 1, 1961), and an agreement on economic and technical cooperation, whereby the USSR extended a long-term credit to Sudan on favorable terms and undertook to supply, as a gift, equipment for veterinary and agricultural research laboratories (Nov. 21, 1961). The two countries concluded an agreement on air transportation (Oct. 20, 1962) and signed a protocol to the economic and technical cooperation agreement of Nov. 21, 1961, whereby the USSR granted aid for the construction of two hospitals with 600 beds, two maternity wards with 400 beds, a 200-bed children’s hospital, and a veterinary laboratory (Aug. 14, 1965). In addition, there were agreements on cultural and scientific cooperation (Oct. 3, 1967), on cooperation in radio and television broadcasting (June 15, 1968), and on deliveries of machinery, equipment, and other goods to Sudan (July 14, 1968).
On Nov. 21, 1969, the countries concluded an agreement on economic and technical cooperation, whereby the USSR extended to Sudan a long-term credit on favorable terms and undertook to assist Sudan in surveying its mountain region and in developing its irrigation projects, hydroelectric resources, agriculture, and railroads. The two countries agreed on a mutual exchange of specialists, and the USSR undertook to deliver, as a gift, laboratory equipment for six secondary schools. An agreement of Jan. 8, 1971, provided for the establishment of the USSR trade representation in Sudan.
In a joint communique of Apr. 17, 1971, both countries noted that their positions on international issues coincided or were at least very close; they also expressed their readiness to expand cooperation. An agreement on cultural and scientific cooperation for 1974–75 was signed on Apr. 18, 1974.