Staritsa(redirected from Starica)
a city and administrative center of Staritsa Raion, Kalinin Oblast, RSFSR. Landing on the Volga River, 12 km from the Staritsa railroad station (on the Torzhok-Rzhev line) and 77 km southwest of Kalinin.
Staritsa was founded in 1297 and given the name of Gorodok. In 1365 its site was moved to the banks of the Volga, and the city was renamed Novyi Gorodok. The city’s present name dates back to the 15th century. In 1485, Staritsa was annexed to Muscovy as part of the principality of Tver’. In 1775 it was made the district city of the Tver’ Vicegerency, which became a province in 1796. Soviet rule was established in Staritsa Oct. 29 (Nov. 11), 1917. The city was occupied by the fascist German troops from October 1941 to Jan. 1,1942.
Staritsa is situated on the steep banks of the Volga, which divides the city into a left (Gorodok) side and a right (Moscow) side. A regular street plan was approved for the city in 1777. Sta-ritsa’s architectural monuments include the Uspenskii Monastery, which is noted for its white-stone cathedral (1530), its refectory and adjoining tent-roofed Vvedenskaia Church (1570), and the mausoleum of G. S. Glebov-Streshnev (late 18th century). Staritsa is also known for a number of late 18th-century and early 19th-century churches and the Cathedral of Boris and Gleb (1805–20). There are stone forges and dwellings of exemplary design dating from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Staritsa is often included among those cities having a valuable architectural heritage.
Staritsa has a garment factory, a linen mill, a machine-tool factory, and a vegetable-drying plant. Flax is grown in the region.
REFERENCESNa verkhnei Volge: Pamiatnye mesta Kalininskoi oblasti. Moscow, 1967.
Baldina, O. Ot Valdaia do Staritsy. Moscow, 1968.