a family of Russian architects of the late 17th century.
Dmitrii Mikhailovich Startsev. Dates of birth and death unknown.
In 1671, Startsev began construction of the Gostinyi Dvor (Merchants’ Arcade) in Arkhangel’sk. The foundations were laid in 1668, and the building was completed in 1684. A large complex, Gostinyi Dvor consists of stalls for Russian and foreign merchants, with a fortress situated between the stalls. Startsev also participated in the construction of the upper part of Troitskie Vorota for the Moscow Kremlin.
Osip Dmitrievich Startsev. Date of birth unknown; died after 1714. Son and pupil of D. M. Startsev.
O. D. Startsev extensively used the colored glazed tiles and white-stone carving typical of late-17th-century Russian architectural decoration. He was responsible for the reconstruction of the churches at the Teremnoi Palace in the Moscow Kremlin (1681–82); he joined together the Verkhospasskii Cathedral, Voskresen’e Slovushchee Church, and Raspiatie Church by a common cornice and a roof with 11 cupolas. Startsev’s other works in Moscow include the Teremok in the Krutitskoe Podvor’e—the former patriarch’s residence—(with L. Kovalev, 1693–94) and the refectory of the Simonov Monastery (1677–80).