Strumica (stro͞o`mĭtsä), town (1994 pop. 43,868), SE North Macedonia. It is an agricultural center reliant on tobacco, livestock, and cotton production. Strumica, an ancient town, was long under Turkish rule; it was ceded to Bulgaria in 1913 and to Yugoslavia in 1919, becoming part of the constituent republic of Macedonia. Landmarks include the ruins of a castle built by the Roman Emperor Tiberius and remains of a castle that belonged to the 14th-century Serbian hero Marko Kraljevich.