Also found in: Wikipedia.
Suceava(so͞ochä`vä), town (1990 pop. 107,988), NE Romania, in Bukovina, on the Suceava River. It is a commercial center and has industries that manufacture food products, paper, wood products, and cellulose. Suceava was the capital of Moldavia from 1388 to 1565, when it was succeeded by Iasi. A historic shrine with many churches (notably the 16th-century St. George Church, a famous pilgrimage center), the town is also the seat of an Orthodox metropolitan. Nearby is the renowned 17th-century Dragomirna monastery.
a district in northeastern Rumania. Area, 8,600 sq km. Population, 645,000, of which more than 27 percent is urban (1974). The administrative center is the city of Suceava.
Suceava District accounts for 1.8 percent of Rumania’s gross industrial output. It is the country’s leading producer of timber (more than one-half of the district is forested), wood products, and pulp and paper. There are also food-processing, textile, and leather and footwear industries. Ores of manganese, nonferrous metals, barite, and sulfur are mined, as well as rock salt. Sucea-va’s agricultural production accounts for about 3 percent of Rumania’s gross output. The main crops are corn, wheat, barley, hemp, and sugar beets. Fruits and vegetables are also grown. Suceava leads all other districts of Rumania in potato harvests, the number of cattle (278,000 head in 1974), and milk production.
a city in northeastern Rumania; situated on the Suceava River, a tributary of the Siret. Administrative center of the district of Suceava. Population, 51,600 (1974; 75,700 including suburbs). Suceava, a major transportation junction, has large pulp-and-paper and woodworking combines and enterprises for the production of foodstuffs, machines, leather and footwear, and knitted goods.
From the 14th to the mid-16th century, Suceava was the capital of the principality of Moldavia. Architectural monuments include the 14th-century castle of Cetatea de Scaun (the former name of Suceava) and churches of the 15th to the 17th century, including those of St. Gheorghe, St. Dumitru, and St. Ilie.
REFERENCESuceava. Bucharest, 1968.
(in Russian, Suchava), a river in northern Rumania and in Chernovtsy Oblast, Ukrainian SSR (upper course); a right tributary of the Siret River (Danube River basin). The Suceava is 160 km long and drains an area of about 3,800 sq km. It rises in the Eastern Carpathian Mountains and, in its middle and lower courses, flows over the Suceava plateau. High water occurs in the spring and flash floods in the summer. Low water occurs in autumn and winter. The mean flow rate is about 20 cu m per sec, and the river carries a great deal of sediment. The city of Suceava is located on the river.