Syzran


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Syzran

(sĭ`zränyə), city (1989 pop. 174,000), S central European Russia, on the Volga River near its junction with the Syzran. The city is a major river port and rail center. Manufactures include leather, glass, chemicals, and wood products. Oil, asphalt, limestone, and slate are extracted in the area. Syzran was founded as a Russian military settlement in 1683 and was an important grain market from the mid-19th cent. until the 1920s.

Syzran’

 

a city under oblast jurisdiction and administrative center of Syzran’ Raion, Kuibyshev Oblast, RSFSR. A landing on the right bank of the Volga near the southwestern tip of the Samara Oxbow. Railroad junction of lines to Ul’ianovsk, Kuibyshev, Saratov, Penza, and Inza. Population, 183,000 (1975; 32,000 in 1897, 83,000 in 1939, 148,000 in 1959, and 173,000 in 1970).

Syzran’ was founded in 1683. In 1796 it became a district capital of Simbirsk Province. The city was an important junction for transshipping freight from railroads to river vessels and vice versa; it also had a fairly large flour-milling industry. In 1928, Syzran’ became part of Middle Volga Oblast (from 1929, Volga Krai), and in 1936 it became part of Kuibyshev Oblast.

Syzran’ is a center for machine building, with plants for heavy machinery and agricultural machinery, as well as for petroleum refining, the shale industry, and the production of carbon black. Construction materials, including asphalt materials, are produced, and there are light and food-processing industries. Syzran’ has a branch of the Kuibyshev Polytechnic Institute; there are medical, pedagogical, and music schools, a polytechnic technicum, and technicums related to the petroleum, machine-building, and clothing industries. The city also has a museum of local lore and a drama theater.

REFERENCE

Vareshin, A. M., B. P. Dedkov, and A. S. Ponomarev. Gorod Syzran’, 2nd ed. Kuibyshev, 1968.

Syzran’

 

a river in Ul’ianovsk and Kuibyshev oblasts, RSFSR; a right tributary of the Volga. The Syzran’ is 168 km long and drains an area of 5,650 sq km. It originates in the Volga Upland, flowing through this area in a wide valley, and it empties into the Saratov Reservoir. The river is fed mainly by snow. The high-water period is in March and April. The mean flow rate 46 km from the mouth is 13.8 cu m per sec. The river freezes between the end of October and beginning of December, and the ice breaks up between the end of March and the first half of April. The city of Syzran’ is situated at the river’s mouth.

Syzran

a port in W central Russia, on the Volga River: oil refining. Pop.: 191 000 (2005 est.)
References in periodicals archive ?
At Syzran, Doroshenko received a telegram from the resettlement agent in Ural'sk that no shares of land were available in his district and that the party of scouts should proceed farther east to the Kustanai and Temir districts of Turgai oblast.
In the Klyuchi 1 section, only the upper 11.5 m of the Nikolaevka Formation and 5.8 m of the Palaeocene siliceous marls of the Syzran Formation are exposed.
Address : 446010, Samara region, the city of Syzran, st.
-60% of Vankor's oil will be refined at the Samara refineries (Kuibyshev, Novokuibyshevsk, Syzran), and the remaining 40% exported via Tuapse until the Eastern Siberian-Pacific Ocean (ESPO) pipeline is ready.
Tenders are invited for construction of a 6 kv vlz-6 from support tsh500 / 127 vl-6 f-5 35/6 kv "tisherek", with the installation of 6 / 0.4 kv package transformer substation and 0.4-kv vli-device f-1, 2, 3 from ru-0.4 kv projected 6 / 0.4 kv package transformer substation syzran district, s.
Tenders are invited for overhaul of heating networks syzran (overhaul of the heating network on sovetskaya street from tk-141 to tk 141/2; overhaul of the heating network on sovetskaya st.
Tenders are invited for washing and hydraulic testing of internal heating systems and hot water supply in the state health institution "syzran pension for the disabled" syzran branch no.
Tenders are invited for supply of gasoline using electronic payment cards for the needs of the syzran pension for the disabled
Tenders are invited for purchase of a car for transportation of disabled people for the needs of the state budgetary institution of the samara region "syzran pension for labor veterans (boarding house for the elderly and disabled)".