tab(redirected from Tab (disambiguation))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial.
a small auxiliary aerofoil on the trailing edge of a rudder, aileron, or elevator, etc., to assist in the control of the aircraft in flight
2. Slang a portion of a drug, esp LSD or ecstasy
a metal or plastic clamp or clip on a card in a card catalog. The tab shows the number of the card or a special code indicating the content of the indexed document.
1. A small, narrow drop curtain in a theater used to mask from view a portion of the stage.
2. A tableau curtain.
3. The lower end of a shingle; the visible portion of a roof shingle that remains uncovered.
A small auxiliary control surface forming part of the trailing edge of an aircraft's control surfaces. Tabs help in trimming and may also assist in moving primary controls. The various types of tabs are servotabs, fixed tabs, balance tabs, trim tabs, spring tabs, etc. See servotab, spring tab, and balance tabs.
tab(1) (TABlet) See tablet.
(2) To move the screen cursor or print head to a specified column (the tab stop). Pressing the Tab key on a keyboard moves the cursor horizontally to the right or to the next input field. Shift-Tab moves left. In the ASCII character set, there are codes for horizontal and vertical tabs (see ASCII chart). See tab stop.
(3) (TAB) See tape automated bonding.
(4) A visual identifier in a browser that identifies opened Web pages. See tabbed browsing.
(5) A horizontal menu on control panels and dialog boxes. Clicking the tab jumps the user to that function, and that tab becomes highlighted.
|Dialog Box Tabs|
|On-screen tabs are widely used in control panels. In this example, the Appearance tab is currently selected and highlighted.|