Take-no-Nobori

Také-no-Nobori

Sunday near July 15
The origins of this rain festival go back to 1504, a year in which there was no rain all summer in what is now the Nagano Prefecture of Japan. Villagers appealed to their god and were rewarded with three days of rain in a row. Thankful, they made an offering to the god of two especially fine pieces of cloth, sufficient to make two kimonos.
Today people in Uedo City continue this tradition each year on a Sunday near July 15. People trek up to the shrine on Mount Ogamidake and offer pieces of homemade cloth to the god.
CONTACTS:
City of Uedo, Convention Bureau
1-11-16, Ote
Ueda-shi, Nagano Prefecture 386-8601 Japan
81-2-6822-4100; fax: 81-2-6822-6023
www.city.ueda.nagano.jp/hp/English/index.html
SOURCES:
IllFestJapan-1993, p. 103
JapanFest-1965, p. 167