a city and administrative center of Taldy-Kurgan Oblast, Kazakh SSR. Situated on the Karatal River, in the foothills of the Dzungarian Alatau, at an elevation of more than 600 m. Railroad station. Population, 80,000 (1975).
Taldy-Kurgan was established on the site of the village of Gavrilovka, which had been founded in the second half of the 19th century and renamed Taldy-Kurgan in 1920. It became the administrative center of Taldy-Kurgan Raion, Alma-Ata Okrug, Kazakh ASSR, in 1930 and was designated a city in 1944. From 1944 to 1959 and since 1967 it has been the administrative center of Taldy-Kurgan Oblast, Kazakh SSR.
Taldy-Kurgan has a plant for the production of storage batteries, a fruit cannery, clothing, footwear, and furniture factories, and a combine for the manufacture of construction materials. The city also has a pedagogical institute, an industrial pedagogical technicum, a veterinary technicum, a medical school, and a museum of history and local lore.