Tallinn Art Museum

Tallinn Art Museum

 

(since 1970, the Art Museum of the Estonian SSR), the largest art museum in Estonia. Its forerunner was the Estonian National Museum’s Tallinn division, which became a separate entity in 1919. The museum was at first primarily ethnographic, later becoming an art museum; from 1928 to 1940 it was called the Estonian Art Museum.

The Tallinn Art Museum’s collection consists mainly of works by Estonian artists of the mid-19th to the 20th century—such as the painters J. Köler and P. Raud, the sculptors A. Adamson and J. Koort, and the graphic artists E. Wiiralt, A. Johani, and K. Raud—as well as by Soviet Estonian artists, including the painters E. Kits, L. Mikko, L. Muuga, and E. Okas, the graphic artist G. Reindorff, and the sculptor A. Starkopf. There are also collections of Estonian decorative and applied art, of Russian and Western European art works, and of Oriental decorative and applied art. The museum is housed in the baroque Kadriorg Palace (1718–25; architects, N. Michetti and M. G. Zemtsov).

Mentioned in ?