Tashkent Pedagogical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Tashkent Pedagogical Institute

 

(full name Nizami Tashkent Pedagogical Institute), an institute founded in 1935 as a successor to the department of pedagogy of the Middle Asian University. In 1936 the institute merged with the Tashkent Teachers’ Institute; in 1947 it was given the name of Nizami.

In 1975 the institute had departments of mathematics, physics, natural sciences and geography, industrial teaching, philology, history, graphic arts, pedagogy and psychology, and music and singing. There were also evening, correspondence, and preparatory divisions and 59 subdepartments, as well as a library with approximately 900,000 holdings.

In the 1975–76 academic year the institute had approximately 15,000 students and more than 650 instructors, including one academician and one corresponding member of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the USSR, 13 professors and doctors of sciences, and more than 250 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute grants the degrees of doctor of sciences and candidate of sciences. Since 1947 it has published the journal Uchenye zapiski (Scholarly Transactions), and since 1969 it has published interinstitutional collections. More than 52,000 teachers have been trained at the institute since its founding.

Z. R. NURIDDINOV

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.