Tbilisi Medical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Tbilisi Medical Institute

 

an educational institution established in 1930 as the successor to the medical faculty of the University of Tbilisi. In 1935 the courses for the advanced training of physicians were reorganized as the Tbilisi Institute for the Advanced Training of Physicians.

As of 1975, the Tbilisi Medical Institute had departments of internal medicine, pediatrics, public health, stomatology, pharmaceutics, clinical residency, and graduate studies, with instruction in Georgian and Russian. There were 68 subdepartments and a central scientific research laboratory. The library contained about 300,000 holdings. In the 1975–76 academic year there were 4,300 students and more than 550 instructors and research workers, including nine members and corresponding members of the Academy of Sciences of the Georgian SSR and the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR, 110 professors and doctors of sciences, and 260 docents and candidates of sciences.

The Tbilisi Medical Institute confers doctoral and candidate’s degrees. It publishes scientific and pedagogical literature. Since its founding, the institute has trained more than 26,000 specialists.

O. N. GUDUSHAURI

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.