Also found in: Wikipedia.
Tczew(chĕf), Ger. Dirschau, town (1992 est. pop. 60,000), Pomorskie prov., N Poland, a port on the Vistula River. It is a rail junction, with railroad workshops and shipyards located there. Chartered in 1260, Tczew became part of Poland in the late 13th cent. but was held by the Teutonic KnightsTeutonic Knights
or Teutonic Order
, German military religious order founded (1190–91) during the siege of Acre in the Third Crusade. It was originally known as the Order of the Knights of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem.
..... Click the link for more information. from 1308 until 1466, when it reverted to Poland. It passed to Russia in 1772 and was not reincorporated into Poland until 1919.
a city in Poland, in Gdansk Województwo; situated on the Vistula River. Population, 50,000 (1974). Tczew, a transportation junction and river port, has a motor-vehicle assembly plant, a precision machine plant, a shipyard, and enterprises of the food-processing industry.