Tellurian


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

Tellurian

 

a device used for the visual demonstration of the earth’s annual motion about the sun and its diurnal rotation about its axis. In the tellurian a smaller sphere, representing the earth, moves about a larger sphere or some light source, for example, a lightbulb equipped with a reflector, representing the sun. In addition, the earth sphere rotates about an axis passing through its center and maintaining a constant inclination, like the earth’s axis. The tellurian may sometimes include a still smaller sphere, representing the moon in its revolution about the earth. The simplest tellurians are equipped with sliding parallelograms, which can be moved by hand, so that the relative positions of the axes may be held constant.

References in periodicals archive ?
Tellurian expects to commence construction of Driftwood LNG in 2018 and produce LNG in 2022.
With this unique corporate gift item, "companies would not have only the opportunity to promote their business and their brand in the corporate world, but also, chase away their competition, by making sure their clients remember them all year long," says the Managing Director at Tellurian Book Production.
Tellurians have no travel permit to curb their wanderlust Mars projects
The technically effective propaganda films of the 1930s (Triumph of the Will, Olympia) can be seen as hymns to a tellurian culture, but so, oddly enough, can the writings of many of Germany's 'inner emigrants', notably Ernst Wiechert and Werner Bergengruen.
Butt's Tellurian wine is a good indicator of the direction that FL [private label] wines are taking in U.S.
Frederic Church once again was among Brakhage's Virgilian guides in this revelation of tellurian ecstasy when he painted the volcanic landscape of "Cotopaxi" in 1863.
From the viewpoint of some Christian theologies, I briefly consider the condition of potential intelligent creatures in places in the universe other than the planet earth and inquire into the possible relationships of extraterrestrials to what our tellurian race calls religion and revelation.
Mitch Vesaas, program director at Tellurian, a treatment center and shelter that serves people with alcoholism and mental illnesses, explains that this lack of response is often a part of the disease.
* Tellurian Inc.(NASDAQ: TELL) shares fell 18.4% to close at $7.50 on escalated trade tensions after China announced it plans to impose a 5% to 10% tariff rate on $75 billion worth of U.S.
Tellurian (TELL) down 1.8% after being cut to Hold at Stifel...
Beyond Motiva, Saudi Energy Minister Khalid Al Falih has said Aramco is on the lookout for natural gas assets, having been linked to potential stakes in US LNG companies Tellurian Inc.
HHDL holds a 65% interest in the two licences and the HH-1 well, while Tellurian (formerly Magellan Petroleum) holds the remaining 35% interest.