Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Temnikov Raion, Mordovian ASSR. Situated on the right bank of the Moksha River (Oka River basin), 71 km north of the Torbeevo railroad station on the Riazan’-Ruzaevka line and 158 km northwest of the city of Saransk.
Temnikov has been known since 1536 as a Russian fortress. It was part of the Kasimov Kingdom. In 1708 it became part of Kazan Province, and in 1779, a district capital of the Tambov Namestnichestvo (Vicegerency), which became Tambov Province in 1796. Soviet power was established in Temnikov on Mar. 14, 1918. In 1923 the city was made part of Penza Province, in 1930 part of the Mordovian Autonomous Oblast, and in 1934 part of the Mordovian ASSR.
A branch of the Saransk Svetotekhnika Production Association is located in Temnikov. The city has plants for the production of dried milk and asphalt and the processing of hemp. It also has a brickyard, a lumber combine, and a paper mill. Educational and cultural institutions include an agricultural technicum, a medical school, and a museum of local lore. The Mordovian Preserve is located near Temnikov.