Also found in: Wikipedia.
(in Polish, Trembowla), a city (since 1939) and administrative center of Terebovlia Raion, Ternopol’ Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Situated on the Gnezna River, a tributary of the Seret. Railroad station (Trembovlia) on the Ternopol’-Ştefăneşti line. Population, 11,600 (1975).
Among the food-industry enterprises in Terebovlia is a plant for the production of nonfat dried milk. The city also has a factory for the production of holiday tree ornaments and a branch of the Progress L’vov Footwear Firm.
In the late 11th century, Terebovlia was the center of the Terebovlia Principality, which had arisen in southeastern Galicia, Bucovina, and Podolia. In 1199 it became part of the Galician-Voly-nian Principality. In 1349 it was seized by Poland. After the first partition of Poland, in 1772, Terebovlia became part of Austria. It was seized by troops of bourgeois Poland in July 1919. After the reunification of the Western Ukraine with the Ukrainian SSR in 1939, Terebovlia became a raion center of Ternopol’ Oblast, Ukrainian SSR.