Ternopol


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Related to Ternopol: Ternopil

Ternopol

a town in W Ukraine, on the River Seret: formerly under Polish rule. Pop.: 235 000 (2005 est.)

Ternopol’

 

(formerly Tamopol’), a city and administrative center of Ternopol’ Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. (The city is named after the Ternovye Fields, the site of an ancient Russian settlement destroyed by the Mongol-Tatars in the 14th century.) Situated on the Seret River, a tributary of the Dnestr. Junction of railroad lines to L’vov, Shepetovka, Khmel’nitskii, Chernovtsy, and Stryi and of highways to Dubno, L’vov, Khmel’nitskii, and Chernovtsy. Airport. Population, 120,000 (1975; 50,000 in 1939; 52,000 in 1959; 85,000 in 1970).

Ternopol’ has existed since 1540, when it was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It came under Austrian control in 1772, was part of the Russian Empire from 1809 to 1815, and then became part of Austria and Austria-Hungary. From 1920 to 1939, the city was part of bourgeois Poland. In December 1939 it became an oblast administrative center of the Ukrainian SSR. Ternopol’ was occupied by fascist German troops from June 30, 1941, to Apr. 15,1944.

Ternopol’ is a center for industry in the Ukraine. Its food-processing and light industries are represented by a meat-packing combine, a sugar mill, a brewery, a cotton combine, and a synthetic-leather plant. In addition to plants producing electrical armatures, agricultural machinery, and public catering equipment, there are two repair plants for automotive vehicles, a repair and maintenance plant, and a porcelain plant. Construction materials are produced in the Stroiindustriia Combine and in plants turning out reinforced-concrete units and structural members. Furniture is also produced.

Ternopol’ is an important cultural center, with institutes for medicine, pedagogy, and finance and economics and a branch of the L’vov Polytechnic Institute. The city also has technicums for Soviet trade and cooperative trade and a conservatory. In addition to the Shevchenko Theater of Music and Drama, there is a philharmonic society and a museum of local lore.

Of architectural interest are the Khristorozhdestvenskaia Church with adjoining defense tower (1596–98), the Vozdvizhen’e Church (16th century), the Voskresenskaia Church (17th century), and a Dominican church (1740’s). During the postwar years, the city has been reconstructed according to a general plan (1945–54, architects V. I. Novikov and N. F. Panchuk). This work has resulted in the construction of the Zagrebel’skii and Druzhba apartment complexes and a number of large public buildings, such as the House of Political Education of the oblast committee of the Ukrainian Communist Party (1971). Lake Komsomol’skoe has been created, and a monument to V. I. Lenin has been built (bronze and granite, 1967; sculptor M. E. Roberman).

REFERENCE

Ternopil’: Putivnik. Vinnitsa, 1964.
References in periodicals archive ?
Vinnytsa Dnipropetrovsk 2,067 1,559 Donetsk 3,000 2,500 Zhytomir 1,600 1,300 Ivano-Frankovsk 2,500 2,000 Kirovograd 1,900 1,500 Krivoy-Rog 1,659 1,078 Lugansk 1,800 1,260 Lutsk 1,800 1,200 Lvov 2,500 1,500 Nikolaev 1,701 1,219 Odessa 2,907 2,230 Poltava 950 900 Rovno 1,527 1,264 Sevastopol 2,000 1,700 Simferopol 1,571 1,348 Ternopol 2,800 1,610 Uzhgorod 1,400 1,200 Kharkov 1,288 1,201 Kherson 1,500 1,375 Khmelnitskiy 1,376 961 Cherkassy 1,148 882 Chernigov 1,600 1,200 Chernovtsy 2,200 2,100 Yalta 1,288 1,201 1st Quarter 2007 City Center Citywide Price Change Av.
Y segun el acuerdo sovietico-polaco de 1945, Galitzia fue asignada a la URSS e incorporada a la Republica Socialista Sovietica de Ucrania; Tarnopol cambio su nombre a Ternopol, Lwow a Lvov (rebautizada Lviv en 1991) y StanisBawow se convirtio en el oblast (26) Stanislav (rebautizado oblast Ivano-Frankovsk en 1962).
Tarnopol cambio su nombre a Ternopol, Lwow a Lvov (rebautizada Lviv en 1991) y Stanislawow se convirtio en el oblast [24] Stanislav (rebautizado oblast Ivano-Frankovsk en 1962).
This violent process was most painful for the Orthodox in Western Ukraine (Lvov, Ternopol, Ivano-Frankovsk regions, Transcarpathia).
Three were with the 2d Combat Detachment(Zegevold) at the Northern front, two others with the 1st Combat Detachment (Kolodzia, Ternopol region) at the Southwest front, and one used for training at the Air Detachment Flying School in Pskov.
29, 1903, Korolowka, near Tarnopol, Austro-Hungarian Empire [now Ternopol, Ukraine]--d.