(literally, “Gulf of Patience”), a gulf of the Sea of Okhotsk, near the southeastern coast of Sakhalin Island. Terpeniia Gulf, which is partially bordered by Terpeniia Cape, measures 65 km in length, approximately 130 km in width, and as much as 50 m in depth. In the north the gulfs shore is lagoonlike, while in the west and east it is hilly. The Poronai River empties into the gulf. The irregular semidiurnal tides rise to 1.5 m. In winter the gulf freezes. There is fishing for chum salmon and pink salmon. The port of Poronaisk is situated on the gulf.
Terpeniia Gulf was discovered and named in 1643 by the Dutch navigator M. G. de Vries, who stayed in the gulf waiting out a prolonged fog.