Also found in: Wikipedia.
a fortified Western Slavic settlement of the ninth through 12th centuries, situated near the city of Teterow (German Democratic Republic), on an island in the middle of Lake Teterow. Excavations in the 1950’s and 1960’s unearthed a wooden bridge on piles that joined the island to the mainland, as well as earthen banks with wooden and earthen structures surrounding the citadel and the settlement’s outer boundary. In the northern part of the island, unfortified Slavic settlements dating from the same period were unearthed. Many Slavic archaeological sites have been discovered near Teterow, including sites similar to Teterow.