Thalassemia

(redirected from Thalassaemia minor)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to Thalassaemia minor: thalassaemia major

thalassemia

[‚thal·ə′sē·mē·ə]
(medicine)
A hereditary form of hemolytic anemia resulting from a defective synthesis of hemoglobin: thalassemia major is the homozygous state accompanied by clinical illness, and thalassemia minor is the heterozygous state and may not have evident clinical manifestations. Also known as Mediterranean anemia.

Thalassemia

 

(also thalassanemia), a familial hemolytic anemia, first detected in 1925 among inhabitants of the Mediterranean region. Thalassemia is caused by disturbances in hemoglobin synthesis.

References in periodicals archive ?
Attitude covered their desire to get asymptomatic children tested for thalassaemia minor, reason if they had not been tested so far, and whether they would ask a prospective fiance to be tested if a child has thalassaemia major or minor.
I know of a couple, totally unrelated and unbeknownst to them, who are silent carriers of Thalassaemia minor.
Tahir Shamsi, a senior hematologist of the country said Thalassemia is a congenital disease that is transmitted to kids born to thalassaemia minor carrier parents.
Talking to Private news channel, CEO of a Thalassaemia center in KPK Qadir Nawaz Khan said that Thalassaemia is of two types, minor and major, thalassaemia minor is silent carrier, a naturally built gene in body and it can be diagnosed by Thalassaemia test which is called "electrophoresis".
He said when both parents are thalassaemia minors or carriers, there is a 25% chance of birth of a thalassaemia major child, 25% chance of a normal child and 50% chance of a thalassaemia minor child.
Thalassaemia intermedia includes thalassaemias with clinical severity intermediate between asymptomatic thalassaemia minor and transfusion dependent thalassaemia major.