Thomas de Thomon, Jean

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Thomas de Thomon, Jean

 

(Thomas de Thomon). Born Apr. 1 (12), 1760, in Bern; died Aug. 23 (Sept. 4), 1813, in St. Petersburg. Russian architect of French origin.

Thomas de Thomon studied at the Paris Academy of Architecture and in Rome during the 1780’s. He settled in Russia in 1799, becoming an academician of the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts in 1800. Thomas de Thomon reworked classical—mainly ancient Greek—architectural devices in the style of traditional Russian classicism. His works, which owe their powerful monumentality to the use of emphatically enlarged forms, are noted for their austerely simple treatment of mass and space and the laconic ornamentation of their facades and interiors.

Thomas de Thomon’s works include the warehouses of Sal’nyi Buian (1805, not preserved), the St. Petersburg Stock Exchange (1805–10), the mausoleum in Pavlovsk (1805–08), the bronze and granite Column of Glory in Poltava (sculptor F. F. Shchedrin), a hospital in Odessa (1806–21), and model designs for state and residential buildings of Russian cities (1806–07).

REFERENCE

Oshchepkov, G. D. Arkhitektor Tomon. Moscow, 1950.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.