Thomson(redirected from Thomson (disambiguation))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Sir George Paget, son of Joseph John Thomson. 1892--1975, British physicist, who discovered (1927) the diffraction of electrons by crystals: shared the Nobel prize for physics 1937
2. James. 1700--48, Scottish poet. He anticipated the romantics' feeling for nature in The Seasons (1726--30)
3. James, pen name B.V. 1834--82, British poet, born in Scotland, noted esp for The City of Dreadful Night (1874), reflecting man's isolation and despair
4. Sir Joseph John. 1856--1940, British physicist. He discovered the electron (1897) and his work on the nature of positive rays led to the discovery of isotopes: Nobel prize for physics 1906
5. Roy, 1st Baron Thomson of Fleet. 1894--1976, British newspaper proprietor, born in Canada
6. Virgil. 1896--1989, US composer, music critic, and conductor, whose works include two operas, Four Saints in Three Acts (1928) and The Mother of Us All (1947), piano sonatas, a cello concerto, songs, and film music