Timofei Filippovich Podgornyi
Podgornyi, Timofei Filippovich
Born Feb. 21 (Mar. 5), 1873, in the village of Stratilatovka, present-day Kharkov Oblast; died June 20, 1958, in Moscow. Soviet master craftsman of bowed string instruments. Honored Master Craftsman of the Republic (1925).
Podgornyi built more than 1,000 violins, violas, cellos, and double basses. His work won recognition at international competitions in Brussels (1905) and Antwerp (1906). Podgornyi played an important role in training Soviet master craftsmen of bowed instruments. From 1919 to 1922 he directed the School for Master Craftsmen of Bowed String Instruments, and from 1922 to 1931, the experimental instruction workshop subordinate to the State Institute of Musical Science. In 1934 he became senior consultant for a bowed instrument factory in Moscow. Podgornyi was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.