Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
, city (2011 pop. 185,937), capital and largest city of Montenegro, SE Montenegro, at the confluence of the Ribnica and Morača rivers. A commercial center, it has industries producing aluminum, furniture, tobacco, and foodstuffs.
..... Click the link for more information. , Montenegro.
(until 1942, Podgorica), a city in Yugoslavia; capital of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro. Situated in the basin of Lake Scutari, near the confluence of the Ribnica and Morača rivers. Population, 60,000 (1974).
Titograd, a major transportation junction, is linked by railroad to the ports of Bar and Dubrovnik on the Adriatic Sea; it also has an airport. It has an aluminum combine and enterprises of the metalworking, furniture, textile, tobacco, and food-processing industries. A university is located in the city.
In antiquity, the Roman settlement of Birziminium (Berzumno, Burzumon) was located on the site of present-day Titograd. When Slavic tribes moved into Montenegro in the seventh century, the settlement became known as Ribnica. From the 1180’s until 1360, Ribnica (renamed Podgorica c. 1330) was ruled by the Serbian Nemanja dynasty. Podgorica was ruled by Montenegrin princes of the Balšic family from 1361 to 1421 and later by the despot Stefan Lazarevic. From 1427 it was ruled by the despot D. Brankovic. Podgorica was one of the centers of the Zeta principality and the seat of the vicegerent- vojevoda; it became the seat of the velikāś of Zeta in 1452. In its struggle against the Ottoman Empire, Podgorica concluded a treaty of alliance with Venice in 1455. Podgorica became part of the sanjak of Skadar after the establishment of the district by the Turkish sultan Mehmed II in 1479.
Podgorica eventually became an important fortified strategic point. Under Ottoman rule from the late 15th century, it was returned to Montenegro by a decision of the Berlin Congress of 1878. It was occupied by Austro-Hungarian troops in January 1916, during World War I, and was liberated in November 1918. On Nov. 26, 1918, the Great National Assembly in Podgorica adopted a resolution calling for the overthrow of the Njegos dynasty and the unification of Montenegro with Serbia under the rule of the Serbian king. In the newly united Yugoslavian state, Podgorica was one of the centers of revolutionary struggle in Montenegro.
Podgorica was occupied by Italian troops in April 1941 and became one of the centers of armed struggle against the occupying forces. The city was freed by the National Army of Liberation on Dec. 18, 1944. In April 1945, Podgorica became the capital of the People’s Republic of Montenegro. In 1952 it was renamed Titograd in honor of J. Broz Tito. Since 1963 it has been the capital of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro.
Architectural monuments in Titograd include the remains of a Turkish fortress (1474–77); erected on the site of a mid-15th-century fortress, the structure was severely damaged in 1879. The Old Town of Podgorica, located near the ruins of the fortress, has houses dating from the 17th to 19th centuries. Podgorica’s New Town, built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, was destroyed during World War II. Since the 1950’s, modern residential blocks and public buildings have been constructed, for example, the Crna Gora and Podgorica hotels and the Beko Department Store. Notable architecture in the vicinity of Titograd includes the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Doclea, with the remains of a forum, temples, thermae, and villas, and the Church of St. George (early 12th century), which has frescoes from the late 16th and early 17th centuries.