Tomsk Medical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Tomsk Medical Institute

 

an institute formed in 1930 from the department of medicine of the University of Tomsk. As of 1975, the institute had departments of therapeutics, pediatrics, pharmacology, and medical microbiology. There were also programs for graduate students and 50 theoretical and clinical subdepartments. The institute operates clinics (840 beds), a central research laboratory, a special-purpose laboratory, six museums, and a library with 515,200 books, periodicals, and other types of material.

In the 1975–76 academic year, enrollment was 4,300, and there were more than 420 faculty members, including three academicians of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR, 49 professors and doctors of sciences, and approximately 250 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute has the authority to grant the doctor of sciences and candidate of sciences degrees, and it publishes collections of scientific papers. Since its founding, the Tomsk Medical Institute has trained 16,500 physicians. It was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1967.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.