(full name P. P. Gaideburov Touring Theater; also First Touring Drama Theater; from 1919 Public Touring Theater).
Created in St. Petersburg in 1905, the Touring Theater was in existence until 1928. P. P. Gaideburov and N. F. Skarskaia, who organized the theater, were the managers and leading actors. The theater brought educational programs to the most remote regions of Russia during its tours. The repertoire included Russian works, Western classics, and the best works of Soviet dramatists. Productions included Sophocles’ Antigone, Shakespeare’s Hamlet, L. Tolstoy’s The Power of Darkness and Fruits of Enlightenment, and Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard. After the Great October Socialist Revolution, the theater continued its tours and helped organize drama workshops in Petrograd for workers and Red Army soldiers.