Trichinopoly


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Trichinopoly,

city, India: see TiruchirapalliTiruchirapalli
, formerly Trichinopoly
, city (1991 pop. 711,862), Tamil Nadu state, SE India, on the Kaveri River. It is a district administrative center and an important educational, religious, and commercial city, with locomotive construction workshops and heavy
..... Click the link for more information.
.

Tiruchirapalli

, Trichinopoly
an industrial city in S India, in central Tamil Nadu on the Cauvery River: dominated by a rock fortress 83 m (273 ft.) high. Pop.: 746 062 (2001)
References in periodicals archive ?
The old saltpeter grounds of southern India were reopened in the districts of Salem, Coimbatore, Madurai, and Trichinopoly, as well as around Vellore, and in Kistna District, while production in northern India expanded northward.
From 1944 he was posted to India where he spent time at Poonah, Trichinopoly and Karachi, returning home in 1946.
For forty-eight years the influence of this gentle and unassuming forerunner of Anglo-Saxon missionaries reached farther and farther across South India, from Tranquebar (Tharangambadi) southward to Tiruchirapalli (Trichinopoly), to Thanjavur (Tanjore), and to Tirunelveli (Tinnevelly), if not even to Kanyakumari (Cape Comorin) and Travancore.
Even so, the realm of object-signs that Holmes continually decodes (a lump of English mud but also an American secret code, an Andamanese poisoned thorn, a wooden leg substituting for the human one taken off by an Indian crocodile, Indian treasure, an Indian snake, the ash from a Trichinopoly cigar) are historiographic imprints of pax Britannica, not indices of chance or of the dissociated idiosyncracies of an individual (crime).(27) A majority of Conan Doyle's stories in fact originate in the colonial or former colonial possessions.
In 1751 an Indian ally of the French East India Company, Chanda Sahib, besieged a British ally, Muhammad Ali, in Trichinopoly. Clive volunteered to weaken Chanda by leading a force against his fortress of Arcot, sixty-four miles west of Madras.