the site of a fortified settlement of the D’iakovo culture located on the Moskva River near the village of Troitsa, Mozhaisk Raion, Moscow Oblast. The settlement existed from the fourth or third century B.C. to the fifth or early sixth century A.D.
Troitsa Gorodishche was excavated between 1956 and 1960. Finds included the remains of earthen banks, ditches, and a circular defensive structure containing living quarters. In the area enclosed by this structure were the remains of dwellings and of a copper foundry. The inhabitants of the settlement engaged in stock raising, mainly of swine, and in hunting and fishing. Among the finds was a first-century bronze fibula with the inscription “Avcissa.” Such fibulae are believed to have originated in the north of Italy.