Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city under oblast jurisdiction and the administrative center of Troitsk Raion, Cheliabinsk Oblast, RSFSR. Situated on the Ui River (Ob’ River basin), at the point where the Uvel’ka River joins it. Junction of railroad lines to Cheliabinsk, Orsk, and Kustanai; situated 121 km south of Cheliabinsk. Population, 91,000 (1975; 47,000 in 1939,76,000 in 1959, and 85,000 in 1970).
Troitsk has plants for the production of electrical machinery, machine tools, and diesel engines, as well as a brickyard. The Troitsk State Regional Electric Power Plant is located near the city. Enterprises of the food industry include a meat-packing plant, a combine for the production of animal fats and vegetable oils, a milk plant, a brewery, and a confectionery factory. Light industry is represented by the manufacture of clothing and footwear and by a leather-notions combine.
Educational and cultural institutions in Troitsk include a veterinary institute and technicums for power-engineering construction, veterinary science, agriculture, and the mechanization and electrification of agriculture. The city has pedagogical, medical, and civil aviation schools, as well as a museum of local lore and a people’s amateur drama theater.
Founded in 1743 as a fortress, Troitsk became a city in 1784. It is located in a region of koumiss therapy. The summers are warm, with an average July temperature of 19°C, and the winters are moderately cold, with an average January temperature of 17°C below zero. Annual precipitation is 320 mm. A tuberculosis sanatorium is located in Troitsk.
a city under oblast jurisdiction (an urban-type settlement before Mar. 23,1977) in Moscow Oblast, RSFSR. Situated on the Desna River (Moskva River basin) on the Moscow-Kaluga highway, 15 km from Moscow. Population, 16,200 (1975). Troitsk has a factory for the production of broadcloth.