Trubchevsk(redirected from Trubeck)
a city and the administrative center of Trub-chevsk Raion, Briansk Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the right bank of the Desna River, a tributary of the Dnieper, 53 km northwest of the Suzemka railroad station on the Moscow-Kiev line and 94 km southwest of Briansk.
Trubchevsk is mentioned in written sources under the years 1164 and 1185 as Trubetsk in the Chernigov Principality, and later as part of the Novgorod-Severskii Principality. It became the center of an appanage principality in the early 13th century, and it was devastated by the Mongol-Tatars in about 1240. In the second half of the 14th century it became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania; in 1503 it became part of the Muscovite state. An abatis line passed through Trubchevsk.
From 1609 to 1644, the city belonged to Poland. In 1778 it became a district city of Orel Province. Soviet power was established in Trubchevsk in January 1918. The city was part of Briansk Province from 1920 to 1924. It became a raion center of the Zapadnaia (Western) Oblast in 1929 and of Orel Oblast in 1938.
From Oct. 9,1941, through Sept. 18,1943, Trubchevsk was occupied by fascist German troops. Soviet partisans were active in the vicinity of the city. In 1944, Trubchevsk became a raion center of Briansk Oblast.
Trubchevsk has a hemp-processing plant, a vegetable-drying plant, a creamery, and a factory for the production of knitwear. Among the city’s educational and cultural institutions are a poly-technical technicum, a sovkhoz-technicum, a pedagogical school, a people’s amateur theater, and a museum of local lore.