Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Tskhinvali(tskhĭn`välĭ), city (1989 pop. 42,934), capital of South OssetiaOssetia
, Ossetian Iryston, region of the central Caucasus, divided between the Republic of Georgia and the Russian Federation. On the northern slope is North Ossetia-Alania (1990 est. pop.
..... Click the link for more information. , a region of N Georgia that has had de facto independence since the 1990s. The city has lumber mills and electrical products plants. Its name was changed to Staliniri in 1934 but was changed back to Tskhinvali in 1961. Georgian troops shelled and occupied the city in 1992 during fighting with Ossetian rebels; Georgia again shelled and invaded the city in 2008, and Tskhinvali suffered significant damage.
(from 1934 to 1961, Staliniri), a city (since 1922) and the administrative center of Iuzhnaia Osetiia Autonomous Oblast, Georgian SSR. Situated on the Bol’shoe Liakhvi River, a tributary of the Kura River, at an elevation of 870 m. Joined by railroad line (33 km) with Gori station, on the Samtredia-Baku line. Population, 33,000 (1974). The Emal’provod and Elektrovibromashina plants are located in Tskhinvali. The city also has a repair shop for buses, a machine shop, a chemical plant, a timber combine, and a garment factory. There is food-processing industry (meat-packaging plant, dairy, and cannery) and building materials industry. The Iuzhnaia Osetiia Scientific Research Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the Georgian SSR is located in Tskhinvali. Other educational institutions include a pedagogical institute and schools of agriculture, medicine, music, and art. The Kost Khetagurov Drama Theater (with Ossetiian and Georgian companies) and a museum of local lore are in Tskhinvali.